This policy was approved and adopted by Bardney Group Parish Council at their meeting on 18th January 2018 Item 293-18/01/2018
PLEASE KEEP THIS POLICY IN A SAFE, EASILY ACCESSIBLE PLACE AND REFER TO IT FREQUENTLY SO AS TO REMAIN FAMILIAR WITH ITS CONTENTS.
CLERK TO THE COUNCIL
BARDNEY GROUP PARISH COUNCIL
BARDNEY FIRE STATION
2B ALMA MARTIN WAY
Telephone 01526 397406
Bardney Group Parish Council is committed to training its staff and elected members and recognises that well trained and informed staff promote good practice within its organisation.
The Council meets the eligibility criteria for the general power of competence having at least two thirds of its members elected at the last ordinary election, a Clerk to the Council and a Registered Finance Officer.
The Council values the time and commitment given by its members to their community and this policy is aimed at maximising the rewards from that time by ensuring that its Elected Members understand and enjoy the role they undertake in their community and are able to discharge that role effectively.
- Bardney Group Parish Council will identify training needs in the light of the overall objectives of the Council and the requirements of each individual. This will be done for staff by means of staff appraisal and supervision processes (where appropriate). All councillors are encouraged to participate in introductory and advanced training offered by the Lincolnshire Association of Local Councils (LALC) and/or the National Association of Local Council’s (NALC) and other courses relevant to their council and committee roles. Notice of relevant training opportunities will be circulated to all as they are received in the office.
- Bardney Group Parish Council recognises that it must also be responsive to certain situations such as:
- Changes in legislation.
- Changes in Quality Assurance Systems/Schemes.
- New & revised qualifications.
- Accidents and/or incidents.
- Professional errors and mistakes.
- New equipment and software systems.
- New working methods.
- Complaints to the Council.
- Requests from staff and councillors.
- Bardney Group Parish Council will encourage its staff and all of its members to participate in relevant training and pay expenses arising from such training provided it has been approved in advance by resolution of the Council.
- The training offered to both staff and elected members will be no less than the minimum standard (Cllrs: Councillor and Planning training: staff: Clerk training, RFO training (Audit & Financial Management), induction/new Clerk training) and will be offered at the earliest opportunity in their term of office/commencement of employment.
- A selection of up-to-date publications/books offering advice concerning all aspects of Local Government will be maintained.
- Support will be offered to neighbouring area Parish Councils (where appropriate and where it is not detrimental to service of Bardney Group Parish Council’s functions).
- Bardney Group Parish Council is committed to networking with other councils and where possible to link-in with training events held by other councils.
- Bardney Group Parish Council has a commitment for its Clerk to be a member of the Society of Local Council Clerks.
- Training for staff and members will be covered as a training item in the annual budget and will be reviewed annually. There will also be adequate budget provision for membership of the Lincolnshire Association of Local Councils (LALC) and the Society of Local Council Clerks (SLCC).